First Nation communities in many parts of Ontario have had anglo names thrust upon them that were not reflective of their identity or characterized as to how they were viewed by other First Nations. The First Nation community known as the Ojibways of Sucker Creek (formerly Sucker Creek Indian Reserve #23) have recognized that this former practice used to name their community was erroneous and have since changed it name once again to the now present Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation.
The name Sucker Creek Indian Reserve was given by Indian Affairs because a creek that flowed through the community into the North Shore of Lake Huron contained an abundance of suckers and smelts. However, to the people of the community and to the Ojibways of the outside area they were known as Aundeck Omni Kaning (literal translation: "where the crows nest").
George Abotossaway is believed to be the founding forefather of the Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation. It is documented that in 1852 George Abotossaway and his family started the settlement of Wabejiwong or Little Current as it is known today. In 1855, an appraisal was done when the Shaftesbury (to be renamed Little Current) town plot was surveyed as a means of placing value the "improvements" which the Indians made on the land. The value of the land was to be reimbursed to the community members upon relocation to the land known as the Sucker Creek Indian Reserve when the former homestead in Little Current was sold to a white settler. Records do not indicate when the relocation actually happened although there is no record of families living on the Sucker Creek Indian Reserve prior to 1874.
It was not until about 1880 that the First Nation people were relocated and this land was not registered with Indian Affairs in Manitowaning until March 16, 1886. Original families who were moved to the new reserve were the Abotossaway, Columbus, Esquimaux, Zack, Muckadabin and Shokan's while other families to move there in later years were Corbiere, Kaysheyonge, Kokoho, Madahbee, Nahwegahbow, Wendabense and Salisquainess.
George Jr. Abotossaway was the first Chief of the reserve from 1882 - 1885 and up to 1889 the chief followed the hereditary line until elections for the position were held every two years. The Indian Act form of elections followed until 1991 when the Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation passed their own band custom election policy of which changes were initiated that included the term of office being extended to three years for chief and council.
The Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation is located 5km west on Highway 540 from the town of Little Current, which has the distinction of being the main access point by land to Manitoulin Island. The major city closest to the reserve would be the Greater City of Sudbury, which is approximately 154km west and considered one of the major cities in Northern Ontario.